Thursday, February 21, 2008

What a hog!



So, I haven't killed anything of the swine variety, but I did shot a hog last night! We went bowfishing on Richland Chambers Lake last night, which is a 41,000 acre man-made lake near Fairfield. Crossing the bridge, the thing looked like an ocean. It was huge!
The weather was iffy all day and it was supposed to rain during the night (when we were to be on the lake). It started misting just as we arrived at the marina, but when the boats showed up, it stopped and was still in the mid-60's when we pulled back into the dock at 2:30am.
The fishing was absolutely amazing! There were three of us on each of two boats. We were all standing on the bow, which was lit with floodlights. Some of the fish were clearly visible, but for the most part, you could only determine a fish's presence by a slightly lighter color in the sandy-colored water.



In all, we shot over 35 carp, drum, buffalo, and gar. I shot the biggest fish (some would argue the small ones are tougher targets), which was a 15lb buffalo.
I think I've discovered a new hobby! (sorry, Gina).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

A) That makes me want to vomit.
B) What are you wearing on your head?
C) What is Randall chugging in the background?

Come home soon! Cougar keeps asking where you are.

Anonymous said...

You look fat. You're the hog. I kid.

JGanschow said...

Gina,
A) Why? It's a beautiful thing.
B) A hat.
C) Pepsi

And I'll be home tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Justin,

I am so jealous of you.

Chris

Rick said...

Justin, you're a killing machine. This wasn't one of those trips where you have to eat everything you kill, is it? Interesting buffet of gar, racoons and bobcat if so.

JGanschow said...

Rick, no, I didn't eat any of it. Usually we have a hog roast during the week, but it seems all we could find is predators and bottom feeders-not good table fare. I did bring you back a raccoon leg to nibble on.