Monday, February 11, 2008

Mounting Excitement.

I spent five hours in the lab at Springfield on Saturday, which is twice as long as the procedure should have taken. However, this is par for the course in my world. Everything went well, as far as I know. We didn't actually read the results, because that would have taken another 50 minutes. So the data should be sent to me today.
In other news, I started preparing for the Texas safari by modifying the camera mount for my rifle. Last year, my buddy Kyle fabricated an aluminum "T" (sideways) that attached to the side of my gun. It worked well. But this year I have a new weapon of mass destruction, and the camera needs to hang below the gun. So this is what I came up with:

It consists of the original mount, which the camera attaches to, a nail plate (so height is adjustable), two shelf hangers, and a switch plate.

On top of the switch plate is a conventional scope mount, which attaches to a rail on the rifle. I also included a pen light as a spacer and as an accessory.

The whole contraption is 12" high and it a big weightier that I would like when the camera is attached. The only way to fix this would be to buy a lighter camera, which I obviously can't do right now.

This is what it will look like on the rail. It can be easily removed from the gun with a thumb screw. Beneath the camera, you can see the quick-release thumb lever to remove the camera from the mount. This is essential, because you can't point the camera to film people while it's on the gun, only targets!
While it still needs a couple slight modifications, I'm quite pleased with the results. It's going to be another great hunt and another exciting video!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nerd. :-)