Tuesday, February 05, 2008

It's about that time again...

11 days until we once again pack the trailer full of rifles, pistols, assault vests, ammo boxes, 4-wheelers, and all the associated gear required to do our part in assisting the Texas Department of Parks and Natural Resources control the wild hog population.
Needless to say, it's hard to not get excited. Last year was the best trip I've been on and we harvested 34 nasty beasts. This year, we hope to break the record of 36. I know we can do it!
The video below is from the final day of last year's hunt. WARNING: Do not view if you are easily offended. My attempts at censoring were sub-par. Those boys get a "bit" excited when the bullets start flying and the hogs start charging.

Enjoy.

P.S. I'm fighting with youtube. For some reason, the video quality is terrible, no matter what format I upload video in.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know pigs are pests in Texas, but that's not hunting, that's a crapshoot. What could you possibly do with 34 hogs? I mean, a large mature sow or boar is like chewing on rubber so you can't be eating the big ones. The smaller javelinas are decent to eat, but gamey (which I'm sure you already know) even as roast. I hope you consider it pest control and not hunting.

Also, I hunt. Just in case it sounds like I'm a bleeding heart. Cause I'm not.

JGanschow said...

Nick,
We don't have anything like wild hogs in Illinois to shoot, so when we get to Texas, we're like kids in a candy store. Where else can you run around with semi-automatic rifles and shoot everything you see (except maybe Iraq)? We do bring back a few young pigs every year and we eat one or two while we're there. If prepared correctly, they're actually pretty tasty. And we hunt for the farmers down there that have their crops and fences ravaged every year by these pests. So it is very much a pest control operation. And it's the most fun I've ever had in my life! But it's also a lot of work. We probably walk 5-10 miles a day through thick brush, mud, briars, etc. I love it.

*Jillian* said...

i want to go!!! and i agree, that meat is super tasty! remember my graduation party when the guys couldn't get enough of it? oooo so good!! :)

swishthedish said...

Yeah, sure, we start by killing boars, but what next. People?

think about it....

JGanschow said...

are you volunteering, ben?