Thursday, October 04, 2007

Why eating out scares me.


Yesterday, while inspecting a local franchise, I performed the usual test on their sanitizer buckets to ensure they were at the proper concentration. When I got a strange reading with the test strips, I brought it to the manager's attention. She, in turn, asked the employee (currently making pizzas) what he put in the sanitizer buckets. He walked back into the dish room and pulled a white bottle off the shelf above the sink. When the manager saw this, she informed him that although in the same color bottle, this was NOT bleach. "Destainer" is not a sanitizer.
So, I read the label. It is to be used to treat stained carpet, laundry, coffee pots, etc. If it comes into contact with the skin, it is to be flushed immediately with water and if swallowed, the poison control center is to be called.

Comforting to know that if I hadn't been there, this would have been used to wipe down all food-contact surfaces and utensils, poisoning their faithful customers. I wonder how many days he'd been using this...

On second thought, they probably don't clean anything anyway.

Enjoy your lunch break.

No comments: