Monday, October 15, 2007

What does 100,000 tires look like?


I don't know.

But that's what we collected on Friday and Saturday in East Peoria. There was a 1,000 tire limit per person, which I thought was a bit extreme. That is, until I saw rusted out S-10's, 1983 station wagons, and a Hummer on 20"'s haul trailer after trailer load in, dump their load as quickly as possible so they could go fetch another heap of spent rubber.
Have you ever smelled stagnant water mixed with rotting leaves and other debris after it's cooked inside a tire for a few months? It's great. And I got to wear some Friday. It was actually kind of fun to get out of the office and get some exercise hurling tires on company time, but I was a bit sore Saturday morning.

Seriously, who in their right mind has 1,000 tires in their back yard.
Oh yeah, it's Tazewell County. Remember, that's where Pekin is.

No comments: