Thursday, October 18, 2007

Conference


I've spent the past two days (and will spend tomorrow) sitting in a chair in a hotel in Morton for an Illinois Dept. of Public Health conference for "new sanitarians." I guess that since I've been a sanitarian for 8 months, it's time for an orientation. While I found some of the septic system and well stuff interesting, the food program info is very basic and boring. and there's two days of it.

However, I did find humor when of the presenters spoke about how she's trying to get legislation passed to require inspections for people that milk sheep, horses, and water buffalo. I thought she was joking so I laughed. A lot.

but she wasn't.

She also said she was trained to look for pony carcasses mixed in with beef hanging in meat lockers. I guess people try to pass them off as cows.

My guess is the shoes give them away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I have been a food inspector in my younger days. I remember my grandma and grandpa C. coming over to butcher chickens. They put the chickens' heads in a V-cut on a board, chopped off the head with an axe, and threw the flopping carcasses into the orchard where they would flop until dead. Even the lifeless heads would occasionally squawk. We never thught of any of it as being brutal or unsanitary. The next step was to plunge the bodies into a copper kettle of boiling water to loosen the feathers. They may have then been plunged into cold water. I don't remember for sure, so that the feathers could be plucked. The last of the feathers would be singed with a torch. But the best part was watching my grandma stick her hand into the back end of the body cavity to pull out the guts! I don't know how she could do it. That was GROSS! Good chilhood memories.

JGanschow said...

um...sick.

viclyn said...

Wow, I did those very things growing up too! However, my mom and I were the ones that got to gut the chickens. I also never remember it being brutal or unsanitary. So, in short, it really isn't that sick Justin, get a grip. :)