Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fort Wilderness.


This weekend, Reality headed north. WAY north. 8 hours north, to Fort Wilderness. The first morning it was -21F. Sunday it was -22F. At that temperature, when you step outside, your nose hair instantly freezes and the condensation from your breath turns to miniature icicles on your eyelashes. it's good.

There were plenty of activities to keep everyone entertained, such as broomball (like hockey, but with a ball and sticks and no skates or pads), ice skating, snow tubing, and cross-country skiing. They also have horses for trail riding and sleigh rides, but it was too cold even for the horses to go out.

Broomball was a blast, and several of us bare the bruises to prove it. It's much harder than the natives made it look. I went down the tubing hill once, but it was more work than fun lugging the tube back up the hill. And then there was skiing...

Chris, Jeff, Samantha, Max, and I headed out on the trails at 2:30. Approximately 200 yards down the trail, we came to the first hill. It was actually just a slight dip compared to what was to come. And all 5 of us bit it. Sam and Max decided to take off their skis at that point and walk. So we continued on. On the next hill, I went first and got up the other side and waited for the next victim, Chris. I saw him come down the hill and then disappear in a cloud of powder. All that made it up the other side was one of his poles that went flying in the collision. hilarious! There were several other comical crashes along the way, but nothing could prepare Jeff and I for what lie beyond the "y" intersection we happened upon after crossing the frozen lake. The trial we started on was 3.9 miles. That sounded doable. BUT, 3.9 miles is 3.9 miles from the camp. Then you have to take another 3 mile trail back. CRAZY.
By this point we had lost the other 3 skiers. They had turned back apparently, because after waiting 10 minutes at the top of a hill that required climbing on my hands and knees, there was no sign of them. So we sullied on. And climbing up requires coming back down the other side. fast. and curving. Jeff went first. and faceplanted. BIG time. I laughed hard and then stopped, realizing it was now my turn to rocket down the narrow trail. I waited for Jeff to collect himself and I thought he was far enough down the trail. i was incorrect. I somehow managed to keep my balance all the way down the hill and a collision was immanent. so with no room to get out of the way, I fell back on my skis, landing on my tailbone and hitting my head. and then i laid there tingling in areas that shouldn't tingle.
After several minutes, I got up and we continued on. On the very next hill Jeff crashed again and hurt his knee badly. He was on his back, trying to get his skis off because he said he couldn't go any further. After struggling several minutes without removing them, the throbbing went away and he got up. After a couple more miles, we ran into some kids on the trail who said we were almost back to the camp. We were honestly beginning to wonder if we'd make it back before the sun set.
As we trudged up the last hill to the ski house, we saw Chris and Sam walking down the road. jerks had found a shortcut.
The next morning, we were told that we had inadvertently taken the "expert" trail. I suggest labeling their trails.

What an awesome weekend in a place that boasts God's handiwork in every snow-laden pine tree and ice-covered lake. I hope I see it again sometime soon...

No comments: