Thursday, June 28, 2007

a new level of yuck


Just before leaving work yesterday, my boss called and asked me to come in early today to sample the influent flowing from the TCHD toilets to the "lagoon" where nature takes its course. I should be so honored.

Now, I'm sure everyone thinks being a health inspector is a glamorous and uplifting professional pursuit. They are wrong. It's not all french fries and watermelons.

Sampling a "normal" septic system is easy. You stick a little cup on a stick down a PVC pipe and pull out a sample after it has been treated. It's usually clear and odorless.
Sampling the lagoon is more like holding a bucket for 100 people to...well you get the picture. No pre-treatment. And then it goes into a picturesque little pond for the turtles and geese to play in.

I just wish it had to be done more than 3 times a day. In the rain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to tell you to read Ben Larkin's latest myspace blog but then I saw you read it and commented. How cool is that?

Unknown said...

me and my friend sam lott used to go and catch turtles in the turd pond at the sewage treatment plant (his dad worked there)