Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Blessed.


The weekend was great. Just what a weary soul needed.

My ole' buddy, Jeff, from high school came down Friday night. We went to One World and then spent a few hours catching up. It had poured all day, but we still planned on getting up early (fairly) and hitting the trails at Jubilee. We used to go riding almost every weekend when we both were attending Bradley, but I've only ridden there once or twice since. So after putting the rack on the car, strapping down the bikes and loading up the rest of our gear, we headed to the park. We decided to park on the back side and ride in since we figured there would be big crowds there for the holiday weekend. We found a deer trail and cut into the woods. I learned a lot that morning. Hooves are better for ascending and descending steep slopes than knobby tires and wet brakes. And stinging nettles EARNED that name. I also learned that you should call the park's phone number before setting out. When we finally found a road 1.5 hours later, there was a sign stating the trails were closed for the day due to the rain. A park employee also stopped his truck to inform us of our error. There was no denying where we had been...covered in mud from the shoulders down. it was a good morning.

Saturday evening Gina and I were to go to the Sletten's for dinner. or so she would have had me believe.
First, she led me astray by having me look down the side streets of the subdivision for the house that the Sletten's were going to buy to be used for Young Life activities. total farce.
Then she was very insistent on carrying the gigantic pan of cheesy potatoes. my gentlemanly manners would not allow it. nor did i question why she made such a ridiculous amount of potatoes for 4 people and a baby.
When I rounded the corner of the house to go through the back gate (also strange, but I didn't think twice about it), there was a large group of people gathered on the deck.
My first thought: oh, this was a cookout? i thought it was just us and the slettens.

Then I saw my family and Gina's family.
Everyone shouted something in unison. I heard "surprise!," and thought, "what in the world is this for?"
I was later told, they shouted "happy graduation," which totally makes sense now.

Anyway, it was the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me. That my friends and family all took time out of their lives to come down and hang out was a humbling and blessing experience. Gina is the best. And Summer is close behind.

Thank you everyone who came out and everyone else who offered words of encouragement over the years! I love you all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Justin,
I wish your party would not have coincided with my aging! We would have loved to have been their to celebrate with you. Congratulations on completing this part of your lifes journey. We are excited to see what your future has in store for you.

*Jillian* said...

Well..what a good lookin' bunch of people :) I'm glad I was able to come down too! It's always a pleasure to see you and Gina!! love you!