Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Irresistible.


I must preface this tale by saying that we receive calls from people every day that are bizarre, creepy, and sometimes, downright insane.

So yesterday, out of the sheer boredom that comes with watching 3 men dig a trench, I decided to mess with my co-workers.

I called the office (we don't have caller-I.D.) and one of the secretaries answered. In my most distinguished Pekin-esque, "carnie" accent (sorry), I told the unsuspecting administrative assistant that I had a pet chimpanzee and would like to know if there were any required permits for possessing said simian. She paused, and nervously answered that she would have to transfer me to someone else. Before she could do so, I revealed my true identity. She laughed in relief and then suggested giving my cell number with my monkey request to our supervisor, Ray. Brilliant!

Ray is quiet, professional, and serious. So he was the PERFECT target for our scheme.

15 minutes later my phone rang. I answered with a big "Hee-haw" hello. Ray introduced himself and asked if I had a question about a pet. I informed him that I had a chimpanzee. He then stated I would need to contact Animal Control with my inquiry. I boldly exclaimed (with slack-jaw) that I did not require animal control because I had already got the chimp under control. I continued that he used to go after small children, but he had calmed down now and there was no need for Animal Control.
silence on the other end of the phone line.
"Sir, I'm going to transfer you to animal control."
I then burst forth with the notion of bringing the ape into a food establishment, such as bringing him to baseball games to sell peanuts.
again, silence.
"Sir, I'm going to have to transfer you to our food program supervisor."

At that, I lost it! I broke character and revealed my true identity.
Ray cursed loudly into the phone and slammed down the receiver.

When I called the secretary a couple of minutes later, all I could hear was tumultuous laughter from the office staff. They had all been listening outside his office door.

nailed it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

a prank after Jim Halpert's own heart!!
i love it!!

Beth B

*Jillian* said...

that is awesome. we always pull pranks at work too...but that one is really good. youre such a weirdo.

Luke W. said...

truely brilliant.

i love you justin. and here, is just one reason why.