Monday, July 23, 2007

Dirty Word


I've come to enjoy Mondays. NOT because of the start of the work week, but because of what happens at the end of the day.

I've been meeting with my friend, Joe. Joe has lived a lot of life in his 28ish years here. He's been a cabinet maker, a mechanic, an Army soldier, an Airforce Sergeant, and most recently, a father.

His ability to quickly master any task he puts his mind to never ceases to amaze me. He is a man of incredible depth, and yet probably the funniest guy I've ever met.

Joe and his wife decided to buy a 4-unit apartment building in a not-so-good part of town a few months before the baby was born. It has turned out to be "a bit of a project," renovating each unit to get them rentable.

Here's where it gets interesting-we started out meeting as a bible study/accountability partner deal. But what was weighing more heavily on his heart and mind was getting the apartment ready so they wouldn't be paying 2 mortgages at once. I suggested that after work I would meet him at the apartment and we would work each week, while engaging in The Word. Therefore, getting dirty while in the word.

And it's awesome. I love seeing things come to fruition, not only in building of the physical, but also in reigniting a fire of faith. It's easy to push aside time spent in the word when life gets heavy. I'm just thankful Joe and I can share that, while at the same time learning from ANOTHER carpenter.


p.s. we don't wear tights like the fellows in the photo. that would be weird.

No comments: