Thursday, December 07, 2006

What is it about the weather?

Totally random thought as a precursor to coffee:

Have you ever wondered how or why the weather affects our moods? Why is it that when it's hot and muggy, the crime rate increases? Why do cloudy or rainy days make us depressed? Warm spring days make us happy and crisp autumn air refreshes us. I don't have an answer, but I wonder if there is something embedded in our psyche that sets the tone of our day simply by looking out the window in the morning.

What if we lived in a world with artificial environments? If the concrete jungles gave way to our entire civilization living in a bubble. It could happen-I heard on the news just yesterday that NASA wants to establish the first base camp on the moon. How then would the overall mood of society be affected by constant temperature, humidity, weather, etc.?

2 comments:

Leslie said...

The reason why I am a scrooge this time of year is because I HATE being cold...but mostly because it makes me sad! I think its like Seasonal Affective Disorder. Autumn and Spring are my favorite times of year because they do make you feel really good inside....good question I wish I had answers!

Alex Tiethoff said...

Wow, this is a pretty interesting question. I guess I would have to say that if we lived in artificial environments, our emotions would be artificial too (going by your weather theory). If we were forced into just a spec on the grand scheme of life, we wouldn't be able to be real with people. It would be like, being robots, so to speak. I wonder what would happen to ministry? If we aren't feeling to those we minister to, what good is it. I probably just went to far with your question, but it really struck me. I'm definetly going to think about this a lot now.