Thursday, December 21, 2006

small THINGS.


Why is it that the little annoyances in life all seem to come at you at once, usually during a fair-to-good day?

Example: Yesterday was a normal day at work (plus all the cookies, candies, nuts, etc. that come in to the department in a constant stream from the mail room). Not too busy, not too many "crazies" on the phone.

I was to meet with my high school small group at Starbucks at 7pm by the gym. I'd have plenty of time to go work out, shower, grab a protein shake or some food before the meeting.

And so it began.
The gym is 5.99 miles from work (thank you, mapquest). Normally it takes 15 minutes to get there at 4:30. Yesterday it took 52. No construction, no accidents, no explanation. Traffic was at a standstill for no apparent reason. Frustration is not the proper word.

So I'm already way behind. I got through just over half of my workout before I had to hit the showers. After getting dressed, I couldn't find my wallet. Not in my pocket, not in my coat, not in my car. I didn't panic because I’ve left it on my desk at work before. But now I had no method of purchasing nourishment.

On to Starbucks to meet with the guys. We normally meet at Northwoods, but there was no service due to the upcoming Christmas program. One guy out of four showed up. We hung out anyway and some other kids from Dunlap happened stop in. Oh, well.

This morning, Cougar meowed at me approximately 63 times while I was getting dressed because he was hungry. I fed him. He didn't like the food and didn't eat.
Today is casual day. They didn't make an announcement or send an email. Apparently no one told me.

All simple things. Life is funny. As soon as life isn't looking, I'm going to kick it in the...

No comments: