Thursday, June 26, 2008

In case you haven't heard...

After two phone interviews, three "targeted selection" interviews, and a "technical" interview over the past 6 months, I officially received a job offer from Caterpillar, Inc. today as an Environmental, Health & Safety Associate. That in itself is cause for celebration. It is a position in which I believe I will be challenged and allowed to be creative and innovative. And for the first time in my professional life, there are opportunities for growth and a ladder that is vertical instead of horizontal.
and as far as I know, the job has nothing to do with poop, something which I've become ALL too familiar with in the past three jobs (and a grad school career)!
When I think back over the past year, so much has happened. So much good. And just as many financial burdens, stresses, and "how am I ever going to be able to pay this" 's. I know that so many of you have prayed that not only CAT would offer me this position, but that it would be financially freeing. From what a former Bradley classmate who is also working in the same division told me, I expected a 50-60% raise, which had me very excited. I could start chipping away at my accumulated debt and breath easier when the CILCO bill came.

So when I opened the job offer this afternoon, I nearly fell off my chair.

The salary I am starting at is a 125% raise from my current pay at the health department.
I had to read it five times to make sure it was right.
Then I called Gina, who suggested I read it once more-just to make sure.

I know money isn't all that matters. It is an evil thing when people make it their god. But it just such a wonderful feeling of a burden lifted. That the pile of bills on the office desk won't be the loudest thing I hear when I go to bed at night.
Thank you all so much for your prayers, thoughts, crossed fingers, words of wisdom and support (and loans). I love you all so much! I am so excited to see where this next chapter in life leads. I am so thankful that you are all a part of it.

No comments: