Tuesday, November 28, 2006

History Repeats Itself.

I just got an email from the girl who followed in my small footsteps at Bradley. She came to Bradley for grad school and studied under the same professor for her master’s degree in biology. And she did a similar hormone study, but on wolves instead of deer.

She emailed me because she did not pass her first attempt at the oral exam, which must be completed before graduation. It is an accumulation of all knowledge a biology student should have acquired through undergrad and grad studies. It’s basically a panel of 3 professors grilling you on anything and everything biology for 4 hours. I, fortunately, got through the ordeal only struggling with 3 or 4 questions. The last question was a stumbling block for me and apparently for her as well.

The question is: how would you respond to someone who believes in creation and not evolution?

I distinctly remember the moment they asked me this. How could they? What bearing did this have on a master’s degree for studying deer poop?

I responded that “current scientific evidence can support the theory of evolution,” as I believe in intelligent design. This concept is that an intelligent being (God) created life and had a hand in it’s development along the way. Microevolution does occur through natural selection, but fish don’t become giraffes, no matter how many millions of years are in between. If humans evolved from apes, why do we still have apes?

Apparently, that is the wrong answer.

My professor, who I had looked up to and respected for 6 years, said that you can NOT “believe” in science. You either “agree or disagree.” “Creation is based only on belief in something that cannot be proved.”

This idea turned my world upside down. But it has only fueled my desire to learn more. And what I have discovered is that it takes much more FAITH to BELIEVE in the claims and theories of evolution, which have holes in them big enough for a galaxy to pass through, than to accept what biological, geological, and archeological science has revealed that lends support to what is written in the bible. The “scientific” community constantly accuses those that believe in creation as being closed-minded. And they are the ones that are unwilling to look at the evidence on the table! It is for this reason that I have lost “faith” in their “science.” How sad that those designated to educate others would have them sacrifice science-based beliefs to support their blind-eyed, hypothetical theories.

No comments: