Thursday, July 31, 2008

Down the Drain...



So today was probably the most odd day I've had at the health department. This morning, we received a phone call that there was a fire at a bar yesterday afternoon. We are required to go inspect the damage whenever a facility has any kind of fire damage or sprinkler discharge to ensure all the food products are safe and the coolers/equipment are functioning properly. And while this local watering hole only served pizza, contaminated alcohol was the main concern of the investigation.
Three inspectors left first thing this morning to go check things out. Then at 11:00, my boss (the same one I scared half-to-death yesterday) came back and asked if I could head down to the location with one of the interns. Two others were also to be on their way. It sounded serious.
We had to wait for the state liquor commissioner to arrive and for the insurance adjusters and fire investigator to clear out before we could get to work. Then we were assigned the task of destroying any and all bottles of liquor and beer, as the grooved caps prevent the surface from being easily cleaned and sanitized.
So much to all of our dismay, we spent three hours emptying over 100 brand new bottles of liquor (many top-shelf and hard-to-find labels), and over 100 CASES of beer bottles. Each bottle cap had to be removed by hand. THAT'S OVER 2,500 BOTTLES down the drain. I'm sure your kids could sing that old familiar tune from here to Oklahoma with that many bottles on the wall.



I should also mention that there was no air flow through the bar while we were working and everything was covered in ash. By the time we were finished, all of us had soot-smeared faces, beer-soaked britches, and shirts that were more wet than dry. Only one more day of this. I guess they figure they need to get all the work out of me they can before I hang up my thermometers, rubber boots, and septic sampling stick!



P.S. When I got in my car after softball tonight, it still smelled like stale booze. gross.

No comments: