Friday, August 22, 2008

the j.o.b.

I'm 3 weeks in.
To say that I'm swimming in information would be a dramatic understatement. I've gone from a county government office with about 15 employees in it to a global corporation with 100,000 employees. Bit of a culture shock. But it's good.
So far, my days have consisted of online learning classes on subjects as diverse as insider-trading, office ergonomics, hand safety, forklift operation, information security, and coordinated fire attack procedures. Interesting to say the least. In all, I've completed 58 classes. One more to go.
I've also been assigned to four project teams. One is working on a global water useage strategy and another will examine renewable energy sources. Right up my alley! It's pretty cool that they throw you right in where the action is right off the bat.
Yesterday I had the privalege of touring the Mossville engine plant and several of the buildings in East Peoria where the big track-type trackers (bulldozers) are manufactured. It is impressive! It was also good to get out of the office. I'm really hoping that the next part of my rotation will be there in E.P. The environmental crew there is great and they have a lot of opportunities available.

Other than that, the wedding plans are coming along. We've met with a photographer or church/building people every night this week (except thursday). I think we've agreed on a photographer, but are still having trouble finding a church that will allow us to use the building. It seems you have to be a member at most of them (who knew). We also have to decide on a dj, but the other major things are taken care of.
In other news, today is my last official day at Northwoods. The student ministries took over the main services last weekend and it was awesome. The band did an amazing job. Serving in the high school ministry has been an incredible blessing over the past few years, but I had to make the tough decision to put that plate back on the shelf. I can already feel my sanity returning (at least the little that left of it). I've started to get some things accomplished around the house that have been sitting there for months. I'm getting to rest. I think this is a good thing. At least for now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to see you are cutting down on things. i know it is a hard decision to make, but it will be a good thing.
beth b

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I'm glad things are finally falling into place for you. Maybe it'll be my turn next?! I love you, brother.