Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What I do for fun...

While Cougar was at home looking over some files...
I was out sampling some septic system effluent. Now there are two basic methods for taking a sample: either there is a horizontal PVC line buried beneath the surface with a vertical sample port line that stands in the yard, or there is a horizontal pipe that discharges onto the ground surface on a slope (ditch or ravine). The first method requires using a stick with a cup on the end to reach down through the vertical sample port to collect effluent running through the horizontal line. This is a pain, because you have to bring a sample stick with you and make sure it doesn't touch anything to contaminate it before the sample is taken.

Yeah, that's correct, don't "contaminate" the poo stick. gross.

So, I prefer sampling the surface discharging systems because you just stick a bottle under the pipe and collect some water. Simple.
usually.

Yesterday, I had to hang from a tree branch with one hand, while holding the bottle in the other to reach out over an 8-foot sheer drop into a ravine and collect a sample.
Today, I found this little beauty.

That's about 12 feet to the bottom. And everything was wet and muddy.

I braced myself with one hand on the top of the pipe and leaned out ever-so-cautiously over the edge.
I love my life.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Have you ever thought of a career change? :)

JGanschow said...

only every minute i'm at work.